INTERNATIONAL BETTA CONGRESS

Help with contest idea and judging?

Chat about bettas, the IBC, or whatever fish-related subjects come to mind.

Moderators: admin, Forum Moderator

Help with contest idea and judging?

Postby Deanna » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi, all! I am a new member and am incredibly impressed by the depth of information available to me here in the IBC members' sections. I'm also a regular poster on bettafish.com. There are many members there who have done the work to begin educating themselves about form and color and so on but who would benefit greatly from all the information available here. With that in mind, I would like to host a contest there on bettafish.com, with the prize (or prizes) being a year's membership in the IBC. I want to structure the contest in such a way that members who have already done research on form and color have a chance to join that they might not otherwise get.

Would anyone like to suggest possible topics, and/or volunteer to judge the contest? I had thought of a "Pick a pair" contest where contestants showed a pair of bettas and noted what would be good about the match and the breeding, but I think I am leaning more toward having them show a single betta (male or female) and note a list of things about them: What is good/bad about their form and their color, and what they would look for in a mate for the betta. Can I get opinions on whether that is the best idea?

The contest should offer the opportunity for many people to learn more about proper form and color, even if they don't compete themselves, and it would be enormously helpful, then, for the judge to explain the reasons for choosing the winner. Because this entails a bit of work that successful breeders obviously might rather put elsewhere, I would be willing to pay the renewal fee for one year of the judge's membership, as well. If the IBC would rather host the contest on the IBC site rather than on bettafish.com, I am perfectly happy to go along with that, as well.

Please let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
Deanna Hoak
Deanna
IBC Member

Re: Help with contest idea and judging?

Postby Claire » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:07 pm

I held 12 online "Virtual Betta shows" between 2006 and 2012, and stopped doing it because it was SO time consuming.

These contests were very much appreciated by the participants, and we usually discussed several points of interest in the fish and the standards.
The prize for the winners (BOSM and BOSF) was participation in judging the next show, and a special icon on their profiles.

Each participant would send 1 photo per fish, maximum 5 fish.
The jury consisted of me as an IBC certified judge, plus a few other judges/apprentices/breeders.
We sorted out the Bettas into several simple classes and judged the fish by IBC standards for form and color.
If I remember correctly, the shows had between 60 and 90 fish.

It has been suggested there should be 2 photos per fish (both profiles) or use videos instead of photos, but we never tried.
Claire
- IBC Certified Judge
- President of the Swiss Betta Club (chapter of IBC)
Claire
Forum Moderator

Return to General Chatter