INTERNATIONAL BETTA CONGRESS

Hailing from Savannah, GA

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.

Moderators: admin, Forum Moderator

Hailing from Savannah, GA

Postby mikeamcbrien » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Dropping a line to say Hello, My name is Mike McBrien and I am a web developer hailing from Savannah, GA. I have blessed to be married to my wife for almost 10 years, 2 little girls and a 1month old lil boy.

Beyond the normal young age aquarium keeping, exploring the hobby and breeding bettas, convicts and angels, I became very active in the saltwater reef community. in 99' I was running a local petstore and was the go to guy for anything aquarium related and frequently attended trade shows to be up on the new hardware in the hobby for the other stores in the company

In 2002 I founded a local reef club - I was elected President 4 years straight and served on the board for the club of over 50 individuals for over 4 years before I resigned because I relocated for work.While serving in my role of the reef club we went through the entire process of not only becoming a non-profit organization but maintaining the status as well as awards, book-keeping and 'frag swap' events. I was also responsible for scheduling, and holding monthly meetings that had at least two presentations as well as the business for the club. Last but not least I was designer and developer for our clubs site and forum.

After I relocated (and took down all my large reef tanks ) I decided to go a slightly different route in the aquarium hobby and began to work on guppy genetics with Dr. Phillip Shaddock. The main goal of this project was to work on mapping out the guppy genome and better understanding the genetics and pushing the guppy hobby. I participated on many studies and contributed to findings for his book "Guppy Designer". At my high point during this phase of the hobby my fish room contained 37 - 10 gallon tanks, several grow out tanks and I maintained over 15 unique lines of guppy's that were documented and shipped worldwide. I volunteered for a few local guppy shows - participating in contacting vendors and sponsors as well as setup and running of the show.

After few children later and moving one more time to Georgia. I have settled and am looking learn and bring my experiences in both the reef hobby as well as my genetic understanding of guppies and investing in the betta's. That leads me to where I am now, dedicating loads of time towards the betta community. Last september I co-launched a new betta site focused on creating a website that would build a solid community as well as be a repository for as much betta information as possibly. The site has been very successful so far and as of this writing has 161 registered members and almost 4000 posts on the forums. The site is still in its infancy and much more is planned, feel free to check it out at http://bettasource.com

Special thanks to the members who put alot of work in getting the IBC forum back up and running. Thank you!
Co-Founder - http://bettasource.com
IBC Member | IBC FLARE! Committee Member
mikeamcbrien
IBC Member

Re: Hailing from Savannah, GA

Postby Cecilia » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Cecilia Bailey Mallett
VICE PRESIDENT

*Global Forum Moderator
*Webmaster
*Constitution Committee Chair
*First Coast Bettas Of Florida Member
*Aquabid user name: betta_life
Cecilia
IBC Executive Board Member

Postby Claire » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello Mike ! Image
Claire
- IBC Certified Judge
- President of the Swiss Betta Club (chapter of IBC)
Claire
Forum Moderator

Postby mikeamcbrien » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks Cecilia - howdy Claire!
Co-Founder - http://bettasource.com
IBC Member | IBC FLARE! Committee Member
mikeamcbrien
IBC Member

Return to Introductions